Department of Public Safety Resource Listings
The Department of Public Safety website provides a searchable database of active service providers by county in North Carolina. Information may be out of date – always call to confirm agency address and stated restrictions.
The county-specific query page lets you create either short-form or detailed listings of the providers. The following are short-form listings for each of the WNC counties, which can be printed from a PDF document.
- Buncombe (note: Salvation Army does not permit people on the sex offender registry to stay.)
Buncombe County Resources By Category
The NC 211 site can be used to create category specific resource listings (search is located in middle of the homepage). To speak with a Referral Specialist, call 866-401-6342 or dial 2-1-1 from your phone. The call is free, confidential, and available 24 hours a day.
Search topics that you can try include:
- Food Pantries
- Prepared Meals
- Homeless Shelters
- Transitional Housing/Housing Assistance
- Community Health Clinics
- Discount Meds
- Female Health Care
- Alternative Health
- Public Health
- STD Clinic
- Household Budgeting Worksheet from the budgeting section of ConsumerCredit.com
- Head Start brochure from Community Action Opportunities Head Start page
- Buncombe County Health & Human Services offers information on Public Assistance, Public Health, Social Work Services, Veterans Benefits, children services, Medicaid and more.
- The State Health & Human Services page links to all county HHS websites.
- FTC Facts for Consumers publication on Fair Credit Billing Act.
- Community Action Opportunities helps solve problems that cause poverty.
- OnTrack WNC offers financial education and financial counseling services, including:
- Get out of debt
- Buy a home
- YWCA of Asheville offers Drop-In Child Care and limited free child care to those in transition.
- Assurance Wireless offers free phone and limited free voice/text to certain low-income households who qualify.