Having a place to live that is affordable and that is accessible to stores, job opportunities, public transportation and other public services is one of the most important needs for those reentering the community after a period of incarceration.
This Buncombe County Rental Guide is a good starting point to learn about finding a place to live. It provides information about rental affordability, landlord/tenant law, and property listings.
A few key things to know:
- A good rule of thumb is to spend no more than 30%-40% of your income on rent.
- Your specific criminal history can impact what housing is open to you. The housing section in this presentation will give you some guidelines. Check out the legal section of this site as well.
- Housing opportunities go very quickly in Buncombe County. Follow up immediately on any opportunity you hear about.
- When you meet or interact with prospective landlords or roommates, think about the impression you make. Show up on time, dress neatly, be polite. How you present yourself matters!
- You have the right to a free annual credit report through the FTC website
- Buncombe County Rental Guide – Property Supplement – This guide includes tips on searching for rentals and a detailed listing of affordable properties in Buncombe County.
- Asheville Housing Authority
- FIRST at Blue Ridge, Inc. is a State of North Carolina licensed Residential Therapeutic Community for men and women with chronic substance use disorders. The program’s mission is to provide opportunity and guidance to those with addictions and assist them to make positive life changes in order to become responsible and productive members of society. The program includes classes, recovery meetings, individual and/or group therapy sessions, and job search assistance.
- Biltmore Housing, Inc. provides recovery-oriented supportive housing in Asheville, Arden and Hendersonville.
- Homeward Bound of WNC provide assistance to the homeless regardless of criminal history or income.
- North Carolina Coalition to End Homelessness
- Women in Transition Program of the YWCA Central Carolinas
- NC LINKS program for young adults with previous engagement in the foster care program
- Socialserve.com is a free housing locator service that covers most areas in North Carolina.
- Listings on NC211: