It is important that you connect with a healthcare professional as soon as possible after release. Restoration of Medicaid and Medicare benefits does not occur automatically after release from incarceration.
If you are not eligible for Medicaid or Medicare, you can obtain health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.
Release from detention constitutes a qualifying life event under the ACA and entitles the person to apply for health coverage on the Marketplace. You must apply within 60 days of release. You can apply for Medicaid, Medicare and the ACA all at the same time.
More information is available at https://www.healthcare.gov/ or call 1-855-733-3711 to schedule an appointment with a Federal Navigator. The following no-cost or low-cost healthcare providers have health assistance coordinators (HACs) who can also help you apply:
- Appalachian Mountain Community Health Centers
- Western North Carolina Community Health Services
- Asheville Buncombe Community Christian Ministry
The Federal Interagency ReEntry Council prepares a helpful resource to dispel common myths about what federal benefits you may be able to access.
Mental Health & Substance Abuse
- C3@356 Comprehensive Care Center
- Vaya Health (formerly Smoky Mountain Center)
- RHA Behavioral Health Services
- FIRST at Blue Ridge, Inc.
- NC Access to Recovery
- October Road
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Julian F. Keith Alcohol & Drug Abuse Treatment Center (ADATC)
- Insight Human Services, Swain Recovery Center